- Use Chrome or Firefox for a browser – and install ProfileSwitcher (Firefox) or Profile Manager (Chrome) to create and switch between profiles. Other browsers work – however, compatibility is always confirmed with Chrome and Firefox first…..
- Create separate profiles for each Mafia Wars login – and these profiles should only be used to play Mafia Wars (do not browse Facebook or any other site – only launch Mafia Wars). You should create separate profiles for browsing the web and accessing Facebook. This keeps temporary files from bogging down the game.
- Backup your profiles.
Chrome is located in C:\Users\>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data
Firefox is located in C:\Users\>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles
You should copy the profile folders to your “Documents Library” (create a folder called “Chrome Profiles” and/or “Firefox Profiles” and copy your profile folders to that directory.
- When you first create a profile, create a backup labeled “fresh install”, and then create a backup weekly of your profile labeled “weekly backup”.
- Restoring profiles is simple – you simply copy the data back to that folder (overwriting all files). This will have your bookmarks, passwords, add-ons, scripts and even the script data (you don’t have to create separate backup files).
- You can restore your profiles from one computer to another – the only thing that must be done is to create the profiles before you copy the data to that folder.
- Limit the number of addons you install into a browser – each addon takes up memory and cpu usage.
- Limit the number of startup items on your PC – again, each item takes up memory and cpu usage.
- Backup your profiles, then run CCleaner. You can restore your backed up profiles and not lose anything.
- Suggested setup for multiple profiles is 8GB RAM and a core i-3 processor or better. If you have 4GB of RAM, consider disabling AERO and other visual experiences in Windows (this takes up about 2GB of RAM).
- Suggested internet speed is 10Mbps or greater (this will handle up to 8 profiles without a problem – Mafia Wars doesn’t use a lot of bandwidth). The higher speed connection you have, your game will remain stable.
- Use OpenDNS and/or Google DNS instead of your default DNS servers.
- Make sure that you have proper Virus protection, updates are installed (browser, OS, virus protection, flash, etc…) and you run defrag on your hard drive (If you have Windows 8 – you don’t need to run it – it is automated).
- Other suggestions – get a flash drive or external hard drive to store your backups. If your computer dies – it makes it really easy to restore your profiles.
Everyone has their “theories” – but a clean system, with minimal temporary internet files and addons will give you the best performance. Zynga, Mafia Demon, Mafia Wars Add-On, Spockholm and other programmers base their performance on this….